Friday, October 3, 2008
A delicious blend of flavors makes these tarts perfect for al fresco entertaining. Recipe makes 8.
4 sheets frozen ready-rolled short crust pastry, thawed
2 large eggs
1/2 pint (300 ml) carton fresh cream
1 cup spring onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, well-drained and sliced
4 ounce (125 g) packet goat's cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
8 grinds black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. For the filling, combine eggs and cream in a mixing bowl and beat well with a balloon whisk. Add the spring onions, sun-dried tomatoes, goat's cheese, basil and pepper to the mixture. Stir until ingredients are evenly combined.
3. Place the pastry sheets on a cold, lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet in half diagonally, to make 8 pieces of pastry.
4. Line eight 4 inch (10 cm) fluted tartlet tins with the pastry; trim edges. Prick the bottom of each pastry case, then line with greaseproof paper and a layer of baking beans.
5. Place tartlet tins on a large baking tray and bake 'blind' for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
6. Spoon filling carefully into the pastry cases, dividing equally. Bake for a further 20 minutes, or until filling is set and puffed. Serve hot.
Tip: To thoroughly drain sun-dried tomatoes in oil, firstly drain in a sieve, then transfer onto kitchen paper towels which will absorb the excess oil.