Friday, June 20, 2008
This recipe has a delicious rice and dried fruit filling and can be cooked in either a conventional or microwave oven. For a complete dinner, serve the chicken with boiled baby new potatoes and a selection of fresh steamed vegetables. Recipe serves 4.
4 double chicken breast fillets
1 ounce (30 g) polyunsaturated margarine
1 large onion, sliced
1 cup apricot nectar
2 tablespoons reduced cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 ounce (15 g) polyunsaturated margarine
2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
1 tablespoon sultanas
1. Spoon a quarter of the seasoning over one side of each breast, fold over to enclose seasoning, secure with toothpicks. Melt margarine in large frying pan (or microwave on High for about 1 minute), add chicken, cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side (or microwave on High 2 minutes).
2. Remove chicken from pan, transfer to ovenproof dish. Add onion to pan, stir over medium heat for about 3 minutes (or microwave on High for about 3 minutes) or until onion is soft. Spoon onion over chicken, drizzle with half the nectar, bake, uncovered, in moderate oven for about 25 minutes (or microwave on High for about 15 minutes) or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from dish, keep warm, reserve pan juices.
3. Combine remaining nectar, reserved pan juices, cream and parsley in small saucepan, stir over medium heat (or microwave on High for about 2 minutes) until heated through, serve over chicken.
Seasoning: Combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well.
I prefer bream, but any type of fresh white fish fillets can be used to make this quick and easy summer dinner. Cook fish as close to serving time as possible and serve with a green salad. Recipe serves 4.
2 ounces (60 g) butter
1 tablespoon curry powder
4 spring onions (scallions), chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
4 white fish fillets
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Melt butter in frying pan, stir in curry, spring onions, garlic and lemon rind, stir over heat until spring onions are tender. Add fish to pan, cook until fish is tender, turning once. Sprinkle with juice before serving.
Try serving these Oriental-style kabobs, made with economical ground beef, accompanied with boiled rice and vegetables for an easy but impressive family dinner. Kabobs can be made up to 1 day ahead. Recipe serves 4.
24 baby new potatoes
1 pound (500 g) ground beef (mince)
1/2 pound (250 g) ground sausage (mince)
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons plum sauce
3 teaspoons light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons plum sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon chili sauce
1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
1. Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until just tender, drain. Combine meats with ginger, garlic, sauces and sesame oil. Roll mixture into 24 balls, thread onto skewers alternately with potatoes.
2. Brush with sauce, grill 5 minutes on each side or until meatballs are cooked and browned. Brush with sauce several times during cooking.
Sauce: Combine all ingredients.
Any fresh citrus fruit juices can be used to make this refreshing Italian dessert, either alone or in combination, for example, orange, mandarin or tangelo, as well as lemon and lime. Recipe serves 4.
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup lime juice
2 egg whites
1. Combine water and sugar in a pan; stir over heat until dissolved. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes; cool.
2. Add lemon and lime juice to syrup; pour into large shallow container. Freeze for 1 hour or until mixture is firm but not solid.
3. Turn mixture into a food processor or electric mixer. Add egg whites; blend until smooth. Return to freezer container. Freeze until firm.
Any type of fresh berry can be used for this easy fruit dessert - raspberries, strawberries and boysenberries are all available frozen. Recipe serves 4.
1 jam sponge roll
4 tablespoons sweet sherry
Packet (85 g) strawberry jelly crystals
1 cup boiling water
8 ounces (250 g) frozen or fresh berries
2 tablespoons sweet sherry, extra
2 tablespoons custard powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 pint (300 ml) carton thickened (double) cream
1. Arrange slices of sponge roll in 4 individual serving dishes, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sherry over sponge in each dish.
2. Dissolve jelly in boiling water, add berries (do not thaw if frozen), add extra sherry; refrigerate until partly set. Pour jelly into dishes; refrigerate.
3. Blend combined custard powder and sugar with 1/2 cup of the milk, bring remaining milk to boil, gradually stir in custard powder mixture. Stir over heat until custard boils and thickens; cover, cool to lukewarm, then pour over jelly in dishes, refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with whipped cream, and decorate with toasted flaked almonds, if desired.