Monday, July 14, 2008
Fresh mango pieces and shredded toasted coconut add sweetness and crunch to this easy homemade bread with a cake-like texture. Recipe makes 1 loaf.
2 cups self-rising (raising) flour, sifted
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
1 mango, roughly chopped
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a loaf tin with baking paper. Put the flour in a bowl, add the sugar, coconut and mango and stir.
2. Combine the eggs and the buttermilk, then add to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
3. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Remove from the oven and stand on a wire rack to cool.
Try serving this easy-to-make fruit puree sorbet topped with slices of fresh mango for a simple but stylish summer dessert. Recipe serves 4.
2 large ripe mangoes
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 egg whites
1. Process flesh of mangoes until smooth; you should have 1 1/2 cups puree. Combine sugar and water in saucepan, stir over heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes without stirring; cool.
2. Stir in mango and lemon juice, pour into slab or bar pan, cover, freeze until partly set.
3. Process egg whites and mango mixture until smooth, pour back into pan, cover, freeze until sorbet has set.