Friday, July 4, 2008
This easy and cheesy fresh vegetable pie is delicious for lunch or dinner. Accompany with salad vegetables. Recipe serves 4.
2 potatoes, chopped
1 cup self-rising (raising) flour
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
8 spinach leaves, chopped
2 ounces (60 g) ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons grated tasty cheese
2 ounces (60 g) ham, chopped
1 egg yolk
1/2 ounce (15 g) butter, melted
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, extra
1. Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender; drain, cool. Push potatoes through sieve, stir in egg and sifted flour, turn onto floured surface, knead until smooth.
2. Cook onion in oil until soft, add spinach, cover, cook over high heat for 1 minute, or until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat, stir in cheeses, ham and egg yolk.
3. Press half the potato mixture evenly over base of 8 inch (20 cm) flan tin, spread with spinach mixture.
4. Roll out remaining potato mixture on floured surface large enough to cover spinach mixture; trim edge. Brush with butter, sprinkle with extra cheese. Bake in moderate oven 40 minutes, or until golden.
This easy dish of bite-sized morsels of marinated white fish fillets served on a bed of seasoned rice is a complete meal in itself. Accompany with crusty bread. Recipe serves 4.
4 white fish fillets
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup rice
1 small red capsicum (pepper), chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon cornflour
2 spring onions (scallions), chopped
1. Cut fish into bite-sized pieces, place in dish in single layer, add soy sauce, wine, sugar, oil, garlic and ginger; marinate, covered, 1 hour. Remove from marinade, reserve marinade.
2. Place fish in ovenproof dish, bake, covered, in moderately hot oven 10 to 15 minutes (or microwave on High about 5 minutes); keep warm. Add rice to large saucepan of boiling water, boil rapidly, uncovered, 10 minutes or until just tender; drain.
3. Stir in pepper and parsley. Serve fish over rice. Blend remaining marinade with cornflour in saucepan, stir until mixture boils and thickens (or microwave on High 1 minute), stir in spring onions, pour over fish.