Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Another easy meatless dinner recipe that's also suitable for vegetarians. Vegetable Curry is best made close to serving time. Accompany with boiled rice. Recipe serves 4 and includes directions for cooking in a microwave oven.
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons garam marsala
11 ounces (350 g) pumpkin
1 large carrot, sliced
1 large vegetable stock cube, crumbled
2 cups water
12 fl oz (400 ml) can coconut cream
6 1/2 ounces (200 g) cauliflower
5 ounces (150 g) broccoli
3 1/2 ounces (100 g) green beans, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in large saucepan, add onion, garlic and ginger, stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes (or microwave on High for about 3 minutes) or until onion is soft.
2. Stir in curry powder and garam marsala, stir over heat for 1 minute (or microwave on High for about 1 minute).
3. Cut potato and pumpkin into 1 inch (2 cm) cubes, add to pan with carrot, stock cube, water and coconut cream; bring to the boil, stirring, reduce heat, simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (or microwave on High for 10 minutes).
4. Cut cauliflower and broccoli into small florets, add to pan with beans, cook further 10 minutes (or microwave on High for about 6 minutes) or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
This quick to cook stir-fry bursting with healthy vegetables is guaranteed to be a popular dinner choice for the entire family. Serve with boiled rice or noodles. Recipe quantities serve 4.
2 tablespoons polyunsaturated oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 onions, chopped
1 green capsicum (pepper), sliced
1 carrot, sliced
10 ounce (300 g) can corn kernels, drained
7 ounce (220 g) can bamboo shoots, drained, sliced
6 veal steaks, sliced
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup (sauce)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 small chicken stock cube, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1. Heat oil in wok or medium frying pan, add garlic and ginger, stir over medium heat for about 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add onions, capsicum, carrot, corn and bamboo shoots to pan, stir-fry over high heat for about 4 minutes or until onion is soft, remove from pan; keep warm.
2. Add veal to pan, stir-fry over medium heat for about 1 minute or until veal is brown. Return vegetables to pan with remaining ingredients, stir-fry over medium heat until sauce boils and evenly coats vegetables and veal. Serve immediately.
To save time, I use boneless white fish fillets for this recipe. Kabobs can be prepared several hours ahead and kept, covered, in the refrigerator but they are best grilled close to serving time. Orange Ginger Sauce can be made 1 day ahead and stored, covered, in refrigerator. Serve with potatoes, fresh steamed carrots and broccoli. Recipe serves 4.
1 pound (500 g) thick white fish fillets
4 ounces (125 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons polyunsaturated oil
Orange Ginger Sauce:
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon water
1. Remove skin and bones from fish, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Thread fish and tomatoes alternately onto bamboo skewers, brush with oil. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side (or microwave on High for about 4 minutes) or until fish is tender. Serve with Orange Ginger Sauce.
Orange Ginger Sauce: Combine rind, juice, ginger, sugar, sherry and sauce in a medium saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by one-third, stirring occasionally. Blend cornflour with water, add to pan and stir over high heat until mixture boils and thickens.
You will need 1 medium carrot for this healthy dessert. Cake is delicious served warm or cold with yogurt topping and fresh fruit. Recipe serves 4.
3 egg whites
2/3 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup self-rising (raising) flour
3/4 cup grated carrot
3/4 cup packaged ground almonds
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup caster sugar, extra
1/3 cup low fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 1/2 ounces (100 g) ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1. Grease a 3 x 10 inch (8 x 26 cm) bar pan, cover base with paper; grease paper. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, beat until dissolved. Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted flour, carrot, almonds, rind and yogurt.
2. Spread mixture into prepared pan, bake in moderate oven for about 45 minutes or until well browned. Turn cake onto wire rack, stand rack over shallow tray.
3. Combine juice, water and extra sugar in small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved (or microwave on High for about 2 minutes). Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes (or microwave on High for 3 minutes). Pour syrup mixture evenly over hot cake.
Yogurt Topping: Blend or process all ingredients until smooth.
I'm not vegetarian but this delicious vegetable soup is one of my top picks for an easy winter dinner. Soup can be made up to 2 days ahead or frozen for up to 2 months. Cheese Wedges are best made close to serving time. Recipe serves 4.
8 ounces (250 g) cauliflower, chopped
8 ounces (250 g) broccoli, chopped
8 ounces (250 g) pumpkin, chopped
1 potato, chopped
3 zucchini, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 cups (1 1/2 litres) water
2 small chicken stock cubes, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
4 pieces wholemeal pita bread
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup grated low fat cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
1. Combine vegetables, water and stock cubes in large saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes (or microwave on High for about 20 minutes) or until vegetables are tender, stir in parsley. Serve soup with hot cheese wedges.
Cheese Wedges: Spread pita bread with tomato paste, sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Place onto oven tray, bake in moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.