Wednesday, September 24, 2008
A delicious and nutritious treat for vegetarians. Recipe serves 6-8.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour
4 ounces (125 g) chilled block margarine or butter, cubed
1/4-1/3 cup chilled water
8 teaspoons olive oil
1 large leek (about 14 ounces/400 g), washed and thinly sliced
3 large carrots, grated
3 large eggs
6 1/2 ounces (200 g) natural yogurt
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon pepitas, toasted
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 carrot extra, peeled into 'ribbons', to garnish
1. Place flours and margarine in a food processor; mix to the texture of breadcrumbs, about 30-60 seconds.
2. Add water, 4 teaspoons at a time, and mix for approximately 10 seconds. Continue adding water in this way until a dough forms which leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Mould dough into a disc shape on a lightly floured surface; wrap in greaseproof paper and chill for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. For the filling, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat; add leek and carrots and cook gently, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, yogurt, mustard and salt, using a balloon whisk. Add leek and carrots and mix until ingredients are combined.
5. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a 9 inch (23 cm) flan tin. Line with greaseproof paper and a layer of dried beans. Bake 'blind' for 15 minutes, and then remove paper and beans.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Pour filling into pastry; bake for 25 minutes, until filling is firm. Sprinkle with pepitas and sesame seeds. Place carrot 'ribbons' in a clean plastic food storage bag; microwave on High for 30 seconds. Place on top of quiche and serve hot.