Wednesday, September 24, 2008
This Italian pepper risotto makes an excellent vegetarian supper dish, or an appetizer for six. Recipe serves 3-4.
1 red pepper (capsicum)
1 yellow pepper (capsicum)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups risotto rice
4 cups of simmering vegetable stock
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the grill to high. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and pith and arrange, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Place under the grill for 5-6 minutes until the skin is charred. Put the peppers in a plastic bag, tie the ends and leave for 4-5 minutes.
2. Peel the peppers when they are cool enough to handle and the steam has loosened the skin. Cut into thin strips.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes over a low heat until the onion begins to soften. Add the peppers and cook the mixture for 3-4 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the rice. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring all the time, until the rice is evenly coated in oil and the outer part of each grain has become translucent.
5. Add a spoonful of stock. Cook, stirring, until all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to add the stock, a spoonful at a time, making sure each quantity has been absorbed before adding the next.
6. When the rice is tender but retains a bit of "bite", stir in the Parmesan cheese and add seasoning to taste. Cover and leave to stand for 3-4 minutes, then serve, with extra Parmesan, if using.