Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Perfect for picnics or packed lunches. Recipe makes 6 pasties.
3 sheets thawed, ready-rolled wholemeal short crust pastry
1/2 x 10 ounce (300 g) packet firm tofu, drained
4 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce
4 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup diced red pepper (capsicum)
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup shredded spinach
4 teaspoons burghul
Soy drink to glaze
1. For the filling, slice tofu 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick; place in a small bowl. Add soy sauce, chili sauce and lemon juice; cover and marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a large baking tray. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tofu, pepper, broccoli and marinade and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach and burghul. Cool.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, place the sheets of pastry. Roll out each sheet until just large enough to cut two rounds from each one, using a 6 inch (15 cm) pastry cutter or by cutting around a 6 inch (15 cm) saucer.
4. Divide the filling equally between the six pastry rounds, spooning onto centers. Brush edges with cold water. Lift opposite sides and press together. Flute or roll edges over to seal. Place on greased tray; brush with soy drink.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm or cold with salad.
Tip: Place sheets of frozen pastry on wire cooling racks to speed thawing.