Saturday, June 21, 2008
This creamy onion tart can be made 2 days ahead and kept, covered, in refrigerator or frozen for up to 2 months. Delicious hot or cold with a salad. Recipe serves 6.
1 ounce (30 g) butter
3 rashers bacon
1/2 cup thickened cream
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 x 12 inch (30 cm) sheet rolled short crust pastry
1. Line a 10 inch (25 cm) flan tin with the pastry. Prick base repeatedly with a fork. Bake at 30 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
2. Peel and slice onions. Heat butter in a fry pan and saute onion over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
3. Trim bacon and cut into dice.
4. Scatter onions and bacon over pastry base.
5. Combine cream, eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, mixing well. Four into flan tin.
6. Cook for 30 minutes or until golden and filling has set.