Monday, September 29, 2008
A warming dessert for a cold winters' night. Recipe serves 6.
3 firm ripe pears, peeled
4 cinnamon sticks
2 whole cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup dark rum or orange juice
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Halve the pears lengthwise and remove the cores. Place them cut side down on a board and cut each half crosswise into 5 or 6 even slices, being careful to retain the shape of the pear.
2. Place the pears into a buttered baking dish and fan the slices out a little.
3. Put the cinnamon sticks and cloves into the dish and sprinkle each pear with the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Dot the pears with the butter and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
5. Remove the pears from the oven, pour over the rum or orange juice and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
6. Serve warm with cream.