Sunday, September 28, 2008
These crunchy chocolate and nut candies are a sweet sensation. Recipe makes about 36 drops.
1/3 cup whole almonds
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 pint (150 ml) fresh cream
8 teaspoons cocoa
1/4 cup golden syrup
1 ounce (30 g) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring essence
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Spread the almonds on a baking tray. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the almonds have turned golden brown. Stand tray on a wire rack to cool completely. When cold, chop almonds coarsely.
2. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
3. Put the sugars, cream, cocoa and syrup into a heavy-based saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, without stirring, until the mixture is grainy and reaches a temperature of 230 degrees F (115 degrees C) on a sugar thermometer.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and chopped almonds with a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
5. Stir the mixture for about 2 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Drop metal tablespoons of the mixture onto the prepared baking trays. Let the fudge cool completely.
Tip: Roasting the nuts enhances their flavor, but it is not essential to do this. For a convenient alternative, used ready-roasted hazelnuts or other types of nut.