Wednesday, August 13, 2008
A light touch in mixing these easy citrus fruit-flavored muffins helps give a delicious result. Recipe makes 12 muffins.
2 cups self-rising (raising) flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 ounces (60 g) unsalted butter
200 g natural yogurt or lemon-flavored yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup honey
Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
8 teaspoons demerara sugar, to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin tray with melted butter.
2. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Stir in the brown sugar.
3. Put the butter in a saucepan and melt over a low heat. Remove from the heat and beat in the yogurt, milk, egg, honey, lemon rind and juice.
4. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Stir together quickly with a fork - about 16 stirs - until just combined. Do not over mix or the muffins will be heavy.
5. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin cups, filling each almost to the top. Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until well risen and firm to the touch. Allow the muffins to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a wire cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.
Tip: To make turning out the muffins easier, line the muffin tins with large paper muffin cases.