Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Low in calories, this easy boneless chicken breast and vegetable stir-fry is an excellent choice for slimmers. Recipe serves 4.
8 ounces (250 g) asparagus spears
Salt to taste
7 ounces (220 g) snow peas
1 pound (500 g) boneless chicken breasts, skinned
Freshly milled pepper
2 teaspoons cornflour
3 spring onions or pickling onions
3 tablespoons sunflower or corn oil
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon medium sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
6 sprigs chervil or flat parsley
1. Cut woody ends off asparagus. Cut spears into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Cook asparagus in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water straight away to retain fresh green color.
2. Top and tail snow peas. Cut into diamond shapes.
3. Cut chicken breasts into thin strips. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer to round dish. Sprinkle with cornflour and rub well into flesh with fingers.
4. Peel and finely chop spring onions or pickling onions.
5. Heat oil in wok until hot, but not smoking. Add chicken and stir-fry briskly for 1 minute. Remove from wok. Drain on rack or absorbent kitchen paper.
6. Add spring onions, asparagus and snow peas to remaining oil in wok. Stir-fry briskly for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken, stock, sherry and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly, cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Return chicken to wok and stir in well. Adjust seasoning to taste. Flavor lightly with nutmeg. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Wash and dry chervil or parsley. Take leaves off stalks. Mix into stir-fry.
8. Serve with boiled new potatoes.