Thursday, July 31, 2008
Oriental food is very popular. Try this authentic yet simple stir-fry. Recipe serves 4.
1 pound (500 g) lean rump steak
1 small onion
3 spring onions, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) lengths
6 ounces (185 g) snow peas, stalk ends trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly chopped ginger
1 teaspoon freshly crushed garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 cup beef stock
2 teaspoons cornflour
1. Trim steak of any excess fat. Cut steak into thin strips across the grain. Peel and cut onion into sixths, separating leaves.
2. Mix soy, sherry and beef stock with cornflour, set aside.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or fry pan. Add onion and spring onions and stir-fry over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add snow peas and toss over heat for further 5-7 minutes sprinkling with a little water to create steam to soften vegetables. Remove to a bowl.
4. Add remaining oil to wok or fry pan with ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat, add beef strips and stir-fry until beef changes color and is just cooked through.
5. Return vegetables to wok and toss over heat for a few seconds. Stir mixed liquids again, pour into wok contents.
6. Toss ingredients over medium heat until sauce thickens to coat meat and vegetables. Serve hot with boiled rice.