Monday, July 21, 2008
In many Asian dishes meat and vegetables are cooked together, as they are in this easy dish. Served with rice it forms a complete meal. Recipe serves 4.
12 1/2 ounces (400 g) Chinese broccoli
3 teaspoons freshly crushed garlic
1 chili, finely sliced
5 spring onions, finely sliced
6 ounces (180 g) chicken thigh or breast fillets, finely sliced
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/3 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons cornflour made into a paste with some water
3 1/2 ounces (100 g) oyster mushrooms
1. Wash, trim and slice broccoli.
2. Heat oil in a wok or fry pan. When it is very hot add the garlic, chili and spring onion and cook for a few minutes.
3. Reduce heat, add chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and stock and bring to the boil.
4. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes over medium heat until the broccoli has reduced in bulk.
5. Move meat and vegetables to one side and add the cornflour paste and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately.