Monday, June 23, 2008
Economical ground beef and pasta combine deliciously in this budget-conscious family dinner. Bake can be partially cooked in the microwave oven. Serve with vegetables. Recipe serves 4.
1 onion, chopped
13 ounce (410 g) can tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 pound (500 g) ground beef (mince)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 small beef stock cube, crumbled
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornflour
1/4 cup water, extra
1 cup risoni pasta
2 ounces (60 g) butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose (plain) flour
2 cups milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
1/3 cup packaged breadcrumbs
1. Place onion, undrained crushed tomatoes, mixed herbs, beef, garlic, tomato paste, stock cube and water in medium saucepan; cook, uncovered, over medium heat, for about 20 minutes (or microwave on High for about 12 minutes) or until mixture is thickened slightly.
2. Blend cornflour with extra water, stir into pan, bring to boil, boil for about 3 minutes (or microwave on High for about 2 minutes) or until sauce is thickened. Pour sauce into an ovenproof dish (8 cup capacity).
3. Add pasta to large saucepan of boiling water, boil, uncovered, for 12 minutes (or microwave on High for about 15 minutes) or until pasta is cooked; drain well.
4. Melt butter in medium saucepan, stir in flour, stir over medium heat 1 minute (or microwave on High 1 minute), remove from heat, gradually stir in milk, stir over high heat (or microwave on High for about 3 minutes) until mixture boils and thickens. Stir pasta and egg into sauce.
5. Pour pasta mixture over beef sauce. Sprinkle with combined cheese and crumbs, bake in moderate oven 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.