Sunday, October 5, 2008
These elegantly shaped puff pastry cases have a delicious chicken filling. Recipe makes 8 vol-au-vents.
4 sheets frozen ready-rolled butter puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
2 large single chicken breast fillets
1 ounce (30 g) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, well-drained and sliced
1 cup sliced spring onions
3 1/2 ounces (100 g) button mushrooms, quartered
1/4 pint (150 ml) light sour cream
8 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
1. Place 2 sheets of pastry on a lightly floured surface; brush lightly with chilled water. Layer the remaining pastry sheets over the top and, with a rolling pin, roll lightly to seal together. Trim edges with a large sharp knife. Cut the 2 layered sheets of pastry into quarters to give eight squares. Transfer the squares to 2 baking trays.
2. Using a sharp knife, make two L-shaped cuts at opposite corners of each square, 3/4 inch (1.5 cm) from the edge. Brush edges with chilled water. Fold one cut corner over to the opposite cut side. Repeat with the other cut corners. Press corners down gently to seal and form the walls of the pastry case. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). For the filling, slice the chicken into thin strips. Heat 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add chicken and fry quickly until cooked.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, spring onions, mushrooms and sour cream. Cook until the liquid reduces and thickens.
5. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mayonnaise and chopped parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the filling to keep warm.
6. Brush the top edge of the pastry cases with beaten egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is well risen and golden brown. Spoon the warm filling into the cases and serve immediately.