Friday, September 19, 2008
An easy to prepare soup that never fails to satisfy the taste buds and appetites of those eating it. The potato gives a nice silky appearance to the soup. Leftover soup can be frozen in a foil tray. Recipe serves 6.
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 pound (1 kg) pumpkin
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch ground cardamom
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sour cream and chives, to serve
1. Heat oil in a deep pot and fry the onions until soft.
2. Peel and seed the pumpkin and peel potato and cut both into pieces. Add to onion along with the nutmeg and cardamom. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook until pumpkin is tender.
4. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
5. Return to pot. Add milk and heat but do not boil.
6. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives and ground pepper.