Monday, September 1, 2008
This colorful, fiery-flavored mixed vegetable and tofu stir-fry is perfect for vegetarians. Recipe serves 4.
8 ounces (250 g) firm tofu
3 cloves garlic
5 spring onions
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/3 cup soy sauce
8 ounces (250 g) broccoli
1 large red pepper (capsicum)
1 large yellow pepper (capsicum)
1 medium fresh green chili
3 tablespoons sunflower or corn oil
Salt to taste
Freshly milled pepper
1. Drain tofu if necessary and cut into 3/4 inch (1 1/2 cm) pieces. Put on to plate and crush garlic directly over top.
2. Trim spring onions and slice thinly. Sprinkle over tofu with stock and soy sauce. Cover and leave to marinate for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Divide broccoli into small florets. Cut stalks into thin slices. Halve peppers. Remove inner white membranes and seeds. Cut flesh into thin strips. Repeat with chili, wearing rubber gloves to prevent skin burns.
4. Heat oil in wok until hot, but not smoking. Stir in chili. Lift tofu out of marinade with draining spoon and add to wok. Reserve marinade. Fry tofu briskly until pieces start to turn brown, gently turning. Remove tofu and chili to bowl.
5. Add pepper strips to remaining oil in wok with broccoli florets and chopped stalks. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Spoon reserved marinade and spring onions into wok. Bring to boil, stirring, and cook gently for further 3 minutes. Return tofu to wok. Season lightly with salt and pepper and heat thoroughly for 2 minutes.
6. Serve with rice or pasta.