Saturday, September 6, 2008
This hearty and easy to make ground beef and cabbage stir-fry is the ideal dinner for cold winter months. Recipe serves 4.
10 ounces (315 g) Savoy cabbage
1 large onion
8 ounces (250 g) oyster mushrooms
1/4 cup sunflower or corn oil
3 cloves garlic
1 pound (500 g) lean ground (minced) beef
Salt to taste
Freshly milled pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup beef stock
Pinch of caster sugar
1. Separate cabbage leaves and remove pieces of hard stalk from each. Wash leaves well, drain thoroughly and shred with sharp knife.
2. Peel and halve onion and cut each half into thin slices.
3. Wipe mushrooms with absorbent kitchen paper, but do not wash. Cut flesh into thin strips.
4. Heat oil in wok until very hot, but not smoking. Add onion and stir-fry fairly gently until they begin to look transparent. Crush garlic directly into the hot oil.
5. Mix in beef and stir-fry briskly until brown and crumbly. Season generously with salt, pepper and paprika. Remove to bowl with draining spoon.
6. Add cabbage to remaining oil in wok and stir-fry for 4 minutes.
7. Add mushrooms to wok and mix well with cabbage. Stir-fry for 5 minutes. Moisten with soy sauce and stock. Add sugar and adjust seasoning.
8. Return beef to wok and combine with vegetables. Reheat until hot.
9. Serve with long grain rice.