Friday, August 8, 2008
These chocolate cookies are so full of flavor, they'll be gobbled up in seconds. Recipe makes about 16 cookies.
1 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 ounces (60 g) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring essence
3/4 cup dark Choc Bits
1/2 cup pecans, roasted and coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
3. Put the butter and sugar into a second mixing bowl. Beat together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is pale and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla flavoring essence and beat well.
4. Stir in the flour mixture. Gently stir in the Choc Bits and pecans until evenly combined.
5. Put 3 teaspoons of mixture per cookie onto the prepared baking trays, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Put on a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: To roast the pecans, put them on a baking tray in a moderate oven for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, grill them until golden brown. Let the nuts cool completely before adding to the cookie mixture. Use walnuts if you prefer and roast them in the same way.