Friday, August 22, 2008
Strips of beef combine with fresh bean sprouts and spinach in this quick and easy stir-fry. Recipe serves 4.
1 pound (500 g) fillet of beef
1/2 teaspoon cornflour
1/4 cup sunflower or corn oil
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup soy sauce
5 ounces (155 g) fresh bean sprouts
3 1/2 ounces (100 g) fresh young spinach
Salt to taste
Freshly milled black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon medium sherry
1. Cut beef fillet into very thin slices across the grain. Sprinkle with cornflour.
2. Heat oil in wok until very hot, but not smoking. Add beef, slice by slice, and stir-fry briskly until browned. Remove from wok with ladle. Drain on rack or on absorbent kitchen paper.
3. Crush garlic into bowl with garlic press. Add soy sauce and mix in meat. Cover and leave to marinate.
4. Rinse bean sprouts under cold, running water. Drain thoroughly.
5. Wash spinach thoroughly to remove grit and drain. Pull leaves off stalks.
6. Add bean sprouts to remaining oil in wok and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add spinach to wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Moisten with stock and sherry.
7. Add beef to wok with soy sauce and ginger mixture and mix in well. Bring to boil and cook for 1 minute. Adjust seasoning to taste.
8. Serve with mixture of brown and wild rice, cooked separately then forked together.