Monday, July 28, 2008
A classic and easy Middle Eastern vegetarian dish. Great as a light meal or to accompany a main course. Recipe serves 4-6.
3 small-medium eggplants
3 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
4-5 ripe tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons freshly crushed garlic
2 cups breadcrumbs
1. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise, sprinkle cut surface with salt. Lay face down in colander to draw for 1/2 an hour. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
2. Meanwhile saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until soft. Add parsley and basil.
3. Remove from pan and combine with tomatoes. Add salt to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and oil a large roasting pan.
5. Heat oil and butter in fry pan. Saute garlic and breadcrumbs, stirring constantly until oil is evenly distributed and crumbs golden brown.
6. Rub eggplants with a little oil. Mound each half with vegetable mixture and top with breadcrumbs.
7. Add enough water to just cover base of roasting pan. Add eggplants. Cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes until browned.