Wednesday, July 23, 2008
The tartness of the vinegar contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the apple in this easy fruit and vegetable dish and makes it perfect to serve as a side with rich meats such as pork or duck. Recipe serves 6-8.
1 red cabbage
1/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup oil
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup beef or chicken stock
Grated zest of 1 orange
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 1/2 ounce (200 g) packet walnut halves
1. Halve the cabbage, discard stalk, wash and slice.
2. Place the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a large dish. Add the cabbage. Mix and soak for 1/2 hour.
3. Fry the onion in the oil in a large saucepan. Layer with cabbage. Add bay leaf, cloves, orange zest and pour stock over. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours. Add water if it begins to dry out.
4. Add the peeled and sliced apples and the walnuts 30 minutes before cooking is complete. Do not stir.
5. Remove bay leaf before serving.