Saturday, July 19, 2008
The orange juice and vinegar dressing emphasizes the beetroot flavor in this easy and colorful vegetable side dish salad, which can be served hot or cold. Recipe serves 6.
2 pound (1 kg) beetroot, well rinsed
1/2 cup sugar
5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons cornflour
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1. Place beets in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, 40-50 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
2. Remove skins and cut into 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) dice. There should be 4 cups. Place in a serving bowl.
3. Combine sugar, vinegar, orange juice, cornflour, salt and pepper in a saucepan. Whisk well and bring to the boil over a medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture is clear and thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
4. Whisk in the butter and zest. Cook until butter has melted. Remove from heat.
5. Pour sauce over beetroot. Toss. Serve hot or at room temperature.