Tuesday, July 8, 2008
A delightfully easy Greek food specialty dish of gently simmered fresh globe artichoke hearts and selected mixed vegetables. Serve hot with crusty bread as a vegetarian main course. Recipe serves 6.
6 globe artichoke hearts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup spring onions (scallions), chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
1 pound (500 g) baby carrots, scraped
12 pickling onions, peeled
12 small new potatoes
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons arrowroot, blended
1. Prepare artichoke hearts. Strip away outer leaves, trim around base. Cut off top 1/3 of artichoke and scoop out center. Cut in half. Place in a bowl of cold water with a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent discoloring.
2. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan. Add spring onions and dill and saute until soft.
3. Cross cut root end of onions and place in saucepan. Add carrots, potatoes, lemon juice, remaining oil, salt and pepper and enough water to cover, then cook 15 minutes.
4. Place artichoke hearts over vegetables and cook 15 minutes more or until tender.
5. Remove vegetables to a heated platter with a slotted spoon. Arrange attractively, displaying the various vegetables. Keep warm.
6. Taste cooking liquid, add salt, pepper, lemon juice and adjust seasoning if necessary. Stir in blended arrowroot and stir over heat to thicken sauce. Spoon over vegetables.